Monday 21 May 2012

Who Was Who Is Who #21

So for want of anything better to write about on a Monday, I'm going to go through all my copies of Who's Who and see if I can predict who will make it over to the new DCU by the end of 2012, who might make it and who hasn't got an Iron Major's chance.

ICICLE - the Icicle's son was one of the main villains during the last but one run of the Justice Society so it wouldn't surprise me to see either the original or the son return in the pages of Earth-2 before the end of the year. Chalk him up as a possible.


IMMORTAL MAN - died in the Crisis as far as I remember and may have popped up in one or two flashbacks but I can't see him appearing in the new DCU.

THE INFERIOR FIVE - unless these guys make another played for laughs appearance in an anthology title like they did in 2010's The Brave and The Bold, I think it's safe to say we've seen the last of them, sadly.

INFINITE MAN - a Legion villain so I'm taking a complete guess here and erring on the side of not seeing him any time soon. Dave Sopko, the official COEP Legion go to guy, agrees saying "Really doubtful that he will be seen for quite a while."

INFINITY INC. - whether any of these guys turn up depends, I suppose, on what Robinson does with Earth-2. Even though the solicitation for the first issue came out last week (it's 20th Feb as I write this) there wasn't a whole lot to go on. So while I think we may see some of the characters (and I'll deal with them in their own entries) before the end of the year, I don't think we'll see them officially teamed up as Infinity, Inc.

INFINITY INC. HEADQUARTERS - see above.

INFINITY MAN - another Kirby / New Gods character, the result of the Forever People combining. As I've said with regard to those characters, I don;t think we'll be seeing Beautiful Dreamer et al so, likewise, we won't be looking at the Infinity Man either.

INJUSTICE GANG OF THE WORLD - while I'll deal with the individual characters in their own entries, I do think it worth pointing out that this is the bunch Libra set up. You remember Libra, don't you? The big bad prophet of Darkseid in Final Crisis? Yeah, we won't be seeing him again.

INJUSTICE SOCIETY OF THE WORLD - while I wouldn't swear to it or make any guesses as to its membership, it wouldn't surprise me if James Robinson had some version of this turn up in the first arc of Earth-2; bearing in mind there'll only be six or seven issues before the end of 2012 and I'll put them in the possible list.

INSECT QUEEN - time was every one of Superman's friends had to gain superpowers and Lana Lang was no different. In the new DCU, though, I'll be surprised if she sprouts wings and starts flying.

THE INVISIBLE DESTROYER - another of the old Green Lantern villains that Geoff Johns could probably update and make interesting but with everything he's got on his plate at the moment, I'm going with a no.

INVISIBLE KID - another Legionnaire so I'm a little in the dark here. I think one version of him has shown up in the new Legion series but I can't see to confirm it right now so I'll put him in the possibles. Dave Sopko clarifies, though: "Invisible Kid I - Still dead.  So no appearances outside of a flashback story. Invisible Kid II - Active in the Legion of Super Heroes." So he comes out of the possibles and into the in place column.

I... VAMPIRE - quite possibly the most surprising title to be announced during the New 52, this means Andrew Bennett is already in place., something that I'm not sure anyone would have foreseen a couple of years ago.

I.Q. - I don;t think Ira Quimby's appeared yet but am pretty sure he was name checked in Justice League so it wouldn't be at all surprising to find him appearing there pre-villainous career. I'll put him down as a possible.

IRON MAJOR - DC might be going for war titles these days but war titles starring Nazi majors with metal hands? I'm guessing not.



So in summary, one in place (Invisible Kid and the surprising I... Vampire), no definite predictions and three possibles (Icicle, Injustice Society and I.Q.)

4 comments:

  1. Ah, the Invisible Destroyer ... I don't think he got the point of invisibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, wander around naked and nick stuff while no-one can see you or put on a costume and cape and try to blow stuff up? Not the sharpest tool in the box.

      Delete
  2. I seem to recall that Immortal Man was part of the first volume of Resurrection Man back in the day. A quick check at Wikipedia confirms that Immortal Man did show up in the last run of Resurrection Man (and as I remembered, people that that Mitch Shelley was Immortal Man with memory loss, until Immortal Man showed up during the series).


    So there is at least one post-Crisis appearance before the most recent reboot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey - I read the original Resurrection Man and don't remember him showing up at all. I guess that increases the chances of him showing up in the title but I don't think it's by much!

      Delete

Thanks for wanting to leave a comment, but this blog is no longer maintained. Feel free to visit my new site/blog over at

crisisonearthprime.com

Look forward to seeing you there. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails