Monday 3 December 2012

Who Was Who Is Who #49

So for want of anything better to write about on a Monday, I'm going to go through all my copies of Who's Who and see if I can predict who will make it over to the new DCU by the end of 2012, who might make it and who hasn't got a Vanquisher's chance.

THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER - one of the stories in the soon to be released (this is written in early April) G.I. Combat is a back-up featuring the new Unknown Soldier so he's in place.


THE UNTOUCHABLES - a bunch of bank robbers (remember them?) who dressed up like 1930's hoods. Can't see them making a return.

VALDA, THE IRON MAIDEN - possibility that she could appear in the the pages of Demon Knights but I'd be surprised. Still, you never know so in the possibles she goes.

VALIDUS - probably won't be appearing as part of the Fatal Five by the end of the year, based on info from Dave Sopko, the official COEP Legion go to guy who says "Technically still around, if the history of him being the child of Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad still is in continuity. He has been shown in his child form as being with them. An "adult" Validus "monster" was shown in Legion of 3 Worlds. What this means for the future of the character is unknown at this time."

VANDAL SAVAGE - currently appearing in his best Brian Blessed manner in the pages of Demon Knights.

VANQUISHER - bit part Blue Devil character, it's pretty certain he'll not be back.

VARTOX - played brilliantly for laughs in the early issues of the last Power Girl series there's no way he could make a comeback now!

VEGAN SYSTEM - not the method of avoiding all animal products, rather the planets around the star Vega. It's not a character so I'm not counting it.

THE VIGILANTE - there are two versions in the original Who's Who: the cowboy Greg Saunders and the black garbed Adrian Chase. I don't think either will be turning up in the New 52 (though I am sort of surprised that Chase got a two page spread!)

THE VIKING COMMANDO - you know, I could almost see him turning up in the pages of G.I. Combat so I'm going to put him in as a (distant) possible.

THE VIKING PRINCE - this guy, on the other hand, I don't know. He just doesn't seem right for even Demon Knights so I'm going to say we won't see him.

VIRMAN VUNDABAR - if ever any of the New Gods was ripe for a re-do, it's this guy. An Apokoliptian god inspired by 19th Century Prussia? Come on! Anyway, vague possibility he'll be back at some point, but I don't think it'll be before the end of the year.

THE VIXEN - already in place and starring in the pages of Justice League International; at least at the moment. At the time of writing (early April) she's comatose in hospital and I don't think the solicitations for forthcoming issues have her in place eithere which is a little worrying as I've always had a fondness for Vixen, right from the days of Justice League Detroit.

VYKIN THE BLACK - another of the Forever People that, as I've said before, I'd be happy to leave in their hippy 60's inspired past.



So in summary three in place (Unknown Soldier, Vandal Savage and Vixen) no definite predictions and two possibles (Valda and Viking Commando)

4 comments:

  1. Vartox appears in Action Comics this week…though very briefly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! Was he played for laughs and was he wearing the Speedos?!

      Delete
  2. Nope, actually more of a serious take in the cameo…Another Superman analogue, but one from a dying reality…at least that is what I could tell from the tangential story telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, Patrick - much appreciated.

      Delete

Thanks for wanting to leave a comment, but this blog is no longer maintained. Feel free to visit my new site/blog over at

crisisonearthprime.com

Look forward to seeing you there. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails