Monday 24 September 2012

Who Was Who Is Who #39

So for want of anything better to write about on a Monday, I'm going to go through all my copies of Who's Who and see if I can predict who will make it over to the new DCU by the end of 2012, who might make it and who hasn't got a Rubberduck's chance.

RUBBERDUCK - another of Captain Carrot's crew, and another we won't be seeing in the new DCU.

RYAND'R - Starfire's brother and member of the Omega Men, I'm going to guess we won't be seeing him any time soon.

SABBAC - one of Captain Marvel Jr's enemies, the chances of this guy getting an appearance in the brave new world has got to be really low.

THE SANDMAN - there are two versions in Who's Who: Wesley Dodds, the original Earth-2 Sandman and Garret Sanford. I suppose it's possible that Dodds might reappear in Earth-2 but with the Sandman name being so wrapped up with Neil Gaiman's series I sort of doubt it.

SANDY THE GOLDEN BOY - and without a Sandman, we won't be seeing a Golden Boy either. And is it me or does he really look evil in that picture?

SARGE STEEL - I'm sure I read somewhere that Sarge is his actual given name, not just a rank. Anyone want to back me up on that? Anyway, I don't know of any appearances to date (early April) in the New 52 and don't think it likely that he'll make a big return.

SARGON THE SORCEROR - a new Sargon was created in the Helmet of Fate minis-series but as that's no longer canon, I guess it's possible we might get an appearance by him, if anywhere in Earth-2 but I doubt it.

SATURN GIRL - one of the founders of the Legion, I can't see them working without her. She's apparently turned up in the pages of Action Comics so that earns her an in place, but I can't find any reference to her in the pages of Legion of Super Heroes (at the time of writing in early April) or am I wrong?

SATURN QUEEN - while the evil counterparts of the founding Legionnaires might show up at some point, I don't think they'll be around by the end of 2012. However, Dave Sopko, the official COEP Legion go to guy proves me wrong by saying in early May "Just finished with a storyline featuring her. So, she'll be quiet for the rest of the year."

SCALPHUNTER - another Old West hero that I think is likely to appear in the pages of All Star Western. Will it be before the end of the year, though? I'm going for a possible.

SCARECROW - another Batman villain that would be sorely missed, Scarecrow's already appeared in the pages of Batman: The Dark Knight.

SCAVENGER - here's one Aquaman villain I'm guessing not even Geoff Johns is going to touch.

S.T.A.R. LABS - pretty sure this made a few appearances in Static Shock but either way, it's a building/scientific community so I'm not counting it.

SEA DEVILS - is the time for scuba diving adventurers over? I think so. For better or worse, I don't think we'll be seeing the Sea Devils any time soon.

SECRET SIX - Flashpoint caused several series to close down, including the wonderful Secret Six by Gail Simone. Whether we'll see another group take up that name remains to be seen, let alone whether they're a bunch of adventurers like the originals, a group of misfits like the second team or a gathering of criminals like the last. I don't think we'll see them by year's end, though.



So in summary two in place (Saturn Girl and Scarecrow) no definite predictions and one possible (Scalphunter)

2 comments:

  1. Your 'Two in Place' says 'Saturn Girl' rather than 'Queen', but fear not, Imra Sardine was all over Legion: Secret Origin' and she's now been in the present day book too.

    Hmm, I don't have the issue to hand, but I think Sargon appeared in a flashback to that old Swamp Thing seance that killed Zatara.

    I have an inkling Sea Devils turned up in a Grant Morrison Superman - but it was probably Cave Carson and crew!

    I'm not actually very helpful, am I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might have to check my issues of Swamp Thing to see if Sargon is there; let me know if the Sea Devils did show!

      Delete

Thanks for wanting to leave a comment, but this blog is no longer maintained. Feel free to visit my new site/blog over at

crisisonearthprime.com

Look forward to seeing you there. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails